Well, here we are. 2016. Another year stretched out before us. Another blank slate ready to be scratched upon with indelible ink. So far, 2016 is looking pretty good. I spent New Year’s Eve in Moncton at Casino New Brunswick for a concert featuring two great Canadian bands: I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace. One thing that’s cool about concerts is that you end up sharing these cool little moments with strangers around you. For a few short moments of time, you share a common goal. The power of music is that it reveals the connections between us. So, thank you to the crew we came with as well as those we met along the way, like cool dude in the Bill Fucking Murray t-shirt who held up a lighter during the show (no one does that anymore!). Or the girl in the hipster glasses and awesome outfit in line at the bar who struck up a conversation with me that continued randomly throughout the evening. These are the kind of unexpected meetings that make a night memorable.
Seeing as we’ve flipped the page on another year and started with a blank slate, it’s appropriate to think about what we wish to accomplish in the coming year. Even if we don’t come close to reaching our goals, they give us focus and something to work towards.
Here are some of my personal goals for 2016:
1. Continue to spread the word about Maritime Love and help others do the same. I’m currently working on a project that will feature people on the blog who have chosen to make (or continue to make) the Maritimes their home, why they love it here and what they think is needed to make it even better. More on that project in the coming weeks.
2. Spend more time outdoors, especially this winter. The winter season has traditionally been hard for me because I end up feeling cooped up but I know it doesn’t have to be that way. If you have the proper gear, you can face almost any weather challenge. So, with my new cold weather gear on order, I’m committing to doing more walking, snowshoe hiking, skating, sledding and skiing in an effort to #makewinterfun.
- Mount Carleton – well known as the highest peak in the Maritimes, this would be a great hike to accomplish this year.
- Ministers Island – this destination has been on my radar since a very cool promotional video on the Charlotte coastal region was released. You reach the island during the summer months by driving over the sea bed at low tide. Once there, you can explore the estate of Sir William Van Horne, former president of the Canadian Pacific Railway. You have to make sure you drive back over before the tide comes up or you’ll be trapped! Sounds like a great adventure to me.
- Cape Chignecto Provincial Park – my husband and I had planned to do this 52km loop hike along the Bay of Fundy coast last year but the timing just didn’t work out. This would be an ambitious goal for me as I’ve never done a multi-day hike but I would love to accomplish it.
- Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail – I’ve never been to Cape Breton. I don’t even know how I can call myself a Maritimer without having seen it, so this year I’m going. I just can’t decide if it would be better to go in the summer while the weather is warm or wait until the leaves change to brilliant colours. Any advice on what I should see/do while I’m there would be greatly appreciated!
Those are my main goals for 2016! Do you have goals you’d like to reach this year? Let me know, I’d love to hear from you!